MMS offers students two opportunities to purchase a breakfast packaged in Grab ‘N Go Bags. These morning meals usually consist of foods that are easy to eat, popular, low fat, and nutritious.
- Purchase the Grab ‘N Go breakfast in the school cafeteria each day between 7:30-7:50 a.m., OR
- Place an order for the mid-morning Nutrition Break.
What is a Nutrition Break? Middle School administration recognized that many middle level children are not hungry first thing in the morning, but there are also many students who eat breakfast very early. By offering a mid-morning nutritious meal, more students actually eat breakfast.
Studies have shown the following about eating breakfast:
- Improves student attention span
- Decreases hyperactivity
- Improves student attendance
- Decreases tardiness
- Improves daily nutrition intake
- Decreases nurse visits
- Improves math skills
Here is how any MMS student may participate in Nutrition Break:
The breakfast menu will be announced at 8:00 a.m. daily. (The monthly menu is posted on the school district website.)
Students who want the Nutrition Break breakfast menu of the day will place their order with the classroom teacher and indicate the payment choice:
- Pay Cash $1.35 (correct change necessary)
- Charge to the Family Lunch Account
- Free/Reduced (Students with free or reduced status receive the breakfast for free, but must place an order.)
Breakfast will be delivered to the classrooms. All students will receive the same breakfast.
The purchase of a la carte items at breakfast will be discontinued this year.
The School Nutrition Services Department encourages you to have your students participate in the Nutrition Break. If you have any questions please contact me at 608-328-7260 or at Eric.Ekum@monroe.k12.us.